Monday, August 3, 2009

What was I thinking...

Really what was I thinking...Go for a tattoo and not have been drinking heavily prior?

Yup, I did just that. Saturday was just another day and my friends Matt and Kasey had already decided that they were going to get a tattoo, after all Kasey has only been talking about it for what seems to be forever.

You see it all began a week prior to my 41st birthday after drinking way too much at the pool I decided to talk about getting a tattoo, why I don't really know. Mostly because I could and no one was going to tell me differently. Anyway we discussed going on the weekend of my birthday, however I really did not know what I wanted or where. As you know these questions must be answered with great consideration, you don't want to just jump off the bridge and then half way down decide that was not what you should have done.

As the story continues we approach last Thursday night; once again we were out for dinner and drinks this time with another friend Melanie and low and behold the subject came up again, this time Kasey mentioned it. I thought oh god, I have to make up my mind.

Well I went to work on Friday and during lunch surfed until I found what I liked, but the endless question for not only myself as I would shortly find out, but also everyone in my life would reveal its ugly head...."Why a lizard" Great question, quick google it and have an answer ready, yes that is exactly what I did. What was that? you want to know what I found, well I found the following:

"The lizard represents basking in the sun. Some say its a symbol of awareness. Ancient Greeks say it is a symbol of all that we hold true and dear."

Sounded great to me; however while this interpretation of someone else's thoughts provided comfort to those around me, for myself it was the memories that it invoked. Those memories of living in Florida and great times that I had while living there and times shared with friends and family.

You see my favorite story of all time was when I returned home from a trip from out of state and walked in the house and looked around to see what changed (this was necessary, first so that I would not trip over any furniture that was moved and secondly, if I had not noticed the changes I would have been in the dog house for at least a week) and I noticed that there were these two lizards on the wall... "Wow" what great art work and where ever did you find those, I asked. Well to my surprise the answer was "out in the yard they must have gotten in when I had the door open".

So for all my friends and family, in the words of my favorite radio newscaster Paul Harvey ..."That's the rest of the story!"













Thanks to my friends who stood by me and laughed at my funny looks of pain. Without you in my life it would be a very lonely and boring existence.

No comments: